Monday, December 13, 2010

JOCKS

Alrighty. Hello there. Finals week is approaching and with the students wanting to study, the middle-schoolers taking high-school entrance exams (not sure about these) and the exams themselves, I'll be having quite a bit of free time from teaching.

Expect some blog posts.


First up, Korean High School Jocks.



I remember reading Friday Night Lights in high school (going into sophomore year? is that right? that would make it paired with The Catcher in The Rye - joke.) Anyway, it was supposed to unveil the genre of non-fiction to our young selves. To be honest, I didn't think much of the book - still don't, but it certainly illuminated West Texas' obsession with football.

Then it illumniated Hollywood's eyes bright enough to make a mediocre, falsified version. Then for a overdramatic TV show that hooked me in for a season and a half (damn you Lyla Garrity).

Well, I thought that the book, the movie and the TV show would be my last draw with overcrazed high school sports programs. Until now.


Guri High School (apparently) has a terrific soccer team. I would verify this, except that whenever I'm walking out of the school and they are playing in our front field, I can't tell which is my high school and which is the other. Either they change colors every other game, or other high schools use our field.










I'd stay and watch but by 5pm, after spending 9 hours at school, I feel a great impetus to get out of the place.


And, again, I don't even know which team we are. There's no scoreboard. I've only seen our team's coach once in the school and was told he is the second highest revered male in the school (after the glorified principal - whose lifestyle certainly warrants its own blogpost.)

I can't recognize the soccer players, even though I have each of the first grade members in my classes.

The question then, why am I not able to recognize them?


I assume some's immediate response is that it's hard to tell Koreans apart.

This was especially true at home - where Americans so uber-pleasantly hold true to their self-devised maxim that all Asians look alike. (don't worry - they think the same about us).

But having been here for four months - this theory is certainly not true. Certainly not. And I teach these kids anyway, I am able to tell (most) of my students apart.

Here's the thing though: I can't tell them apart because THEY ALL SLEEP THROUGH EVERY CLASS!


My first day teaching, in my first class, I remember it clear, as I was going around and having the kids introduce themselves. There was a particular group of four students in the back, none of whom spoke a world of English. I was told by my co-teacher that they were "representatives of the Guri High School Soccer Team" and was implicitly told, as I have been reminded since, that they are essentially excused from any and all activities during class.

Truth be told, they sleep the entire class. Once, just once, during my super-fun, amazingly awesome, kick-ass Halloween game, I got one soccer player to play. For one minute. Then he slept.

Now, I certainly don't have four of these kids in each class. Most classes have none - but my first class was the lowest level, and unsurprisingly, the glorified athletes haven't made much way in their English advancement.

And so it goes. For each of my "D" level classes, I have a nice group of four or five students who sleep during class. Any other kid sleeps and I have the option to let them sleep or wake them. (I toil between these, depending on how I feel about the kid - but it's a nice power to have).

This is a picture from the internet - not mine - but it tells the story.....






Other advantages soccer stars enjoy at Guri High School:


7th period off. All periods after 7th (some kids do 11 and then some) OFF. (if you don't know the Korean high school system - this is WAY BIGGER than you can imagine)

Separate lunch. (not sure if this means they eat separately, or if that actually get different/better food)

Sweet clothes (typical of most sports programs)

Decent grades (this has been hinted at - and I'm assuming they are getting some help because I've seen the kids sleeping in some other classes too)

Recess dominance.

(my observation: there are 2 real soccer nets on the giant field. there are 2 extra ones in the corner. 1500 kids (although less now that the 3rd graders are effectively DONE with school. all have the same lunch. lets say between going into the gym for basketball/badminton & studying, only 50% of the kids come out to the soccer fields for lunch. that's 500 kids sharing 4 nets. 1 goes to the soccer team. always. the other 475 kids split three nets if they want to play.)



so that's my thoughts on that. i am still very much an outsider on the manner. but these are the noticeable things to someone that hardly has efficient tools of discovery. (language)




and before I leave, I realize fully that this is not on the level of West Texas football. But it is still pretty laughable. And if H.G. Bissinger and Peter Berg can dance in the hyperbole, so can I.


quotation(s):

"It is a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them."
-Agatha Christie


"I want this adventure that is the context of my life to go on without an end"
-Simone de Beauvoir



music:

Joni Mitchell - River (live Royal Albert Hall)

haunting. christmas.



video:
Hans' Rosling "The Joy of Stats"





e.g.

No comments:

Post a Comment