Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"you bad in hallway!"

this'll be a multi-topic post. bear down and bear with it.



first off, the holidays. thanksgiving, christmas and new years were spent in the company of pretty much the same people.

the same awesome people.

being here, a group of us have grown into quite the quasi-family and in just four months it seems that I know them better than I many other people I've met in my lifetime.

perhaps it's due to the multitude of "would you rathers", a game in which everyone reveals interesting truths about themselves and the ever-so-favorite "how much would someone have to pay you to ___________"


after telling my buddy brian that the only hip-hop act I knew anything about these days was Ne-Yo he took it upon himself, as my secret santa, to go into Seoul and get me the artist's new CD "LibraScale"

we did Christmas in my town and though my apartment got clobbered on - as did the apartment unit's trash area - (see below) it was well worth it.









surprisingly, the club we went to after our gift giving as packed.

also, i experienced what I could only determine to be the first migraine headache of my life. symptoms have not returned - fingers are crossed.


new years was spent in Hongdae, a neighborhood in Seoul known for its art, coffee shops and party mentality. it did not let us down. we got fancied, boozed and korea'd UP.







what did let us down was our beloved Badgers. we woke up around 6am to go watch the game and were severely let down by the outcome but enjoyed our time watching.






since i decided both not to bring a change of clothes to Seoul and not to go home once I was already in Seoul, I had the distinct pleasure of wearing the same thing for almost 48 hours. although as it was pointed out by my friend Nate - if you are going to get stuck in one outfit, a suit is probably a good way to go.




__________________________________________________________________________________________________________


now, winter camp has begun at school.

everyday i sit at my desk from 8am-2pm. i surf the internet, read my book and/or pick up some korean from the other bored teachers around me.

from 2pm-3:50, I teach the same kids. my class is supposed to have 26 kids. the first day there were 11, the second 14, the third (today) 9. i've already made Simpsons promises.

a list of their chosen english names is forthcoming - although not as comical as my after school kids were.


what is more personally exciting is my birthday fast approaching.

thanks to my college roommate John Collins I learned that it is perfectly acceptable to celebrate your birthDAY for the 4 or 5 days before it happens. I started today.

= Golf & Galbi day.


played a round of screengolf after school, where I am officially known by the entire staff by name.
got delicious dwaejee-galbi at a place near my house.

glorious.
ness.


the title of this post comes from when I stopped at my house inbetween.

a bit of a story.....

I live in an officetel. It is designed for both living & working. There is a second floor but the ceilings are only about 3 feet high - which makes it ideal for really only one thing - sleeping.

When I arrived, the awkward and much-disliked Englishman had preferred to sleep on the first floor and had left the loft to be of no use. Pity.

After a few months I decided I would move my bed. I did. Of course, it fits just fine up there and now with the winter bumping its cold ugly rear end everywhere, it's nice to be in a warmer area for sleep.

But I had a large bedframe and headboard that were now just taking up space in my apartment.

We have wide hallways I thought, I'll just stick it out there until I figure out something to do with it.

That was November. The next day the amazingly, like awfully nice, security guard (who takes care of my dry cleaning bless his heart) told me that the building manager wanted me to move it.

I stalled and said that my school was going to pick it up soon. I just didn't know what to do with it and I figured by Sunday I could get a friend to help me take it to a garbage area or something. It's not heavy.

It's also like $30 to get it taken out and removed for you. NOT going to pay that.

Anyway, I put it back in my place because I couldn't get rid of it.

Then Christmas came and I needed room to host people so I threw it/them back outside in the hall.

No word from the apartment people.....

Until today when I was greeted with "you bad in hallway" and had just noooo idea what the hell he was talking about.

of course bad=bed and bed=bedframe and hallway= well hallway=hallway.

I would bring it back in today but I have my piano waiting in the middle of my tiny hallway (actually IN my apt.) to be taken away. This, the piano being taken out, was promised the first week I came here. It's now month 5 and they told me the other day, as I had begun growing used to it, that they would remove it. 3 days have passed since then and nothing.

Ahhhh.








i'll drop 3 songs down here. all of much different genre.


Lost in the Trees - Song for the Painter


Nyle - Let the Beat Build


GD & TOP - High High (fyi: THIS is KPop)



e.g.

No comments:

Post a Comment